« Home | Two WWE Stars Looking to Bring in Former WCW Star » | Tribute to the Troops Preview from WWE.com » | Because it Was Just so Cheesy....The Edge & Vicki ... » | WWE Returns to Action Next Week with House Shows » | Some of the Latest from JR's Blog » | Edge Heads one and all » | SmackDown Preview » | Complete Lineup for Upcoming RAW 15th Anniversary DVD » | Jeff Hardy Featured on the "No Way Out" Poster » | Who Will Replace JBL as the Color SmackDown Annuon... »


Styles Rips JBL's Mic Work on SmackDown

In ECW's Joey Styles' latest blog entry on WWE.com, he takes some pretty good shots (one has to wonder how true they are) about JBL and his work on SmackDown. here is the entry:

"This week's Most Extreme Player is former and, in my humble opinion, future WWE Champion, John "Bradshaw" Layfield. After being goaded out of retirement by Chris Jericho, JBL made the decision to leave the SmackDown broadcast table to return to the ring on Raw. JBL was the longest reigning WWE Champion in SmackDown history, and has the potential to do so on Raw as well. In addition, JBL appears six times weekly on both FOX News and FOX Business as a financial commentator.

However, none of the aforementioned is the reason that I have selected JBL as my MEP this week. The fact is, myself and millions of English speaking SmackDown viewers owe a huge debt of gratitude to Y2J for getting JBL to relinquish his headset and allowing all of us to resume watching SmackDown with the sound on.

What an early Christmas gift! No more JBL cliches such as "Ballgame!," "The lights are on bright," "He smells like smoke because he's been through fire." Not to mention JBL's outdated sports references to everyone from Ben Hogan to Honus Wagner.

Just when I thought nobody could butcher color commentary worse than Ernest "The Cat" Miller did years ago, along came JBL, tempting me to drive my pencil into my own ears at every WWE pay-per-view. JBL spent more time talking about himself in his Foghorn Leghorn voice than he did talking about the matches he was supposed to be calling. While I have no doubt that JBL will one day be inducted into WWE's Hall of Fame as the great in-ring superstar he is, the self-professed Wall Street wizard will not be joining Gene Okerlund and Jim Ross in the announcer's wing.

While I don't believe that I am going to be inducted into WWE's Hall of Fame anytime soon, (if ever), I take comfort in the fact that unlike JBL, I did not force millions of our viewers to learn how to operate the closed captioning on their televisions.

I wish JBL the best in his future endeavors if only so I never have to suffer through him calling another match."

Labels: ,

i think jbl wasn't a good color commenter too. the only thing he talk about was himself, how much he hate the wrestler or his own business skills. but jbl returning to raw as in-ring compertior is going to be good and he having a rivalry with chris jericho this is going to be good!!!!!!!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Matt Loede
  • From Cleveland OH
  • Matt has been involved in sports media for over ten years, with experience covering the NFL, NBA, and MLB for the past 13+ years.
View My Complete Profile
Follow us on Twitter!
Bodybuilder.com

Recommended DVDs












Subscribe to Let's Wrestle!
Enter your email address: